I have officially been an intern at SHIFT Communications for a week and a half now and it has been pretty great! The first few days were spent being introduced to everybody in the office and figuring out which accounts everybody was in charge of… That along with trying to keep up with all the acronyms thrown around in emails and everyday speech wore me out.
Luckily, after diligently shadowing a few people on their accounts, I’ve been able to catch up a little bit and have even been handed some of my own responsibility. That’s pretty exciting, but I’m glad that I’ve had a bit of time to get used to the type of work I would be doing and the office environment.
It’s not that I haven’t had jobs with real responsibilities before (hello, I was a nanny for 4 years – if that’s not responsibility, I don’t know what is), but I’ve never really worked in an office like this before. By that I mostly mean that I’ve never had coworkers my own age – one of the things that I was really looking forward to when I entered the “real world.”
Having coworkers my own age isn’t the only thing that makes me happy about where I am right now. Here are some things that make me smile about my job:
- I work in San Francisco (which is pretty awesome)
- It’s nice to see so many people are around my age that have accomplished so much – it makes me believe that I can accomplish those things too!
- Everybody is super nice
- I get to say things like “I’ll be back soon, just gotta run out and grab something for a client”
- I actually have clients (or at least am working with teams that have clients)
- The office is laid back and professional all at the same time
- Thus far I haven’t been bored (yeah, I know, I’ve only been here for a week and a half… but that’s a good start!)
- We are all in cubes which means people just stand up over their cubes and talk to each other
- Sometimes you can hear people talking on the phone… to somebody else in a different cube across the room – this makes me smile
- I have coworkers my own age (I had to include it)
- …and a majority of them are women which means I am able to pick up on their impeccable fashion sense
- I get to spend time reading recent articles about things that I’m interested in – and it’s all part of the job!
- Everybody is hilarious, which means that people will be in fits of laughter at random times throughout the entire day
There are more, but those are the things that come to my mind right now. Is there anything better than a job that you enjoy doing, makes you smile, and combines so many of your passions? I think not!
What do you like about your job?